MySQL Review

Good performance, but requires better scalability and more reliable stability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the product for small applications.

What is most valuable?

The solution is great for small applications in particular.

The performance is good.

The solution originally was designed as an open-source product. It has a community edition that anyone can use for free.

The initial setup is simple and straightforward.

What needs improvement?

I have doubts about its overall stability. It's something that they should look at.

As an open-source product, there isn't really any technical support available if you get into trouble or have issues.

There isn't much scalability potential in the product.

I've been using the solution for a very long time. It's been years at this point.

The stability could be better. It's not as stable as I would prefer it to be.

It was originally designed as freeware, as an open-source project, and the community wrote the solution. However, they've made it worse over time.

That said, the performance is pretty good.

The solution is not that scalable. It's not something you should pick if you need something to expand significantly.

While I can't speak to how many people use the solution in our company, I can say that it is used by several departments and divisions.

The solution is open-source and managed by a community. Therefore, there is no technical support available to users.

The initial setup is very easy and quite straightforward. It's not overly difficult or complex.

That said, I was not a part of the original setup and therefore cannot speak to how long the deployment took my team.

We didn't need any assistance from integrators or consultants. The setup was handled in-house.

The solution is open-source and free to use. We have the community edition. We don't have to pay to use it right now.

What other advice do I have?

Right now, Oracle has taken over the business of MySQL. Now, it's standard that you have to pay money for the license. That's why we are shifting all our databases, the small, small databases, from MySQL to Oracle. We do have extra data, so we do require a license.

Currently, we are using the previous version of the solution. I can't speak to the exact version number, however.

I'd rate the solution at a five out of ten.

I wouldn't recommend it to other organizations at this time.

More MySQL reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with SQL Server
Learn what your peers think about MySQL. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,114 professionals have used our research since 2012.