N-able Remote Monitoring & Management Review

Lets us keep an eye on client infrastructure at all times in one central portal

What is our primary use case?

My main use case for SolarWinds RMM is monitoring my customers' infrastructure and devices. I use it primarily as a patch manager, but it also finds use in many recurring IT jobs that we undertake for our customers.

How has it helped my organization?

SolarWinds RMM has really eased the way in which we remotely manage client infrastructure. It's got a very comprehensive suite of features for remote access and monitoring, so we can keep an eye on everything in one central place and not have to use several different solutions at the same time.

What is most valuable?

I'm really happy with the background remote access, which allows me to easily change system internals such as registry keys and silently execute commands using the command prompt in the background. This kind of remote access makes it easy for us to do our jobs without getting in the customer's way.

Compared to other remote access solutions that we tried, like Splashtop, SolarWinds gave us more complete functionality and flexibility.

What needs improvement?

There is quite a bit of delay on the portal where we receive monitoring information from the endpoint agent on the remote device. Sometimes it gets stuck with no live response from the device, and you have to refresh the portal just to make sure that it's projecting the right information.

Reliable live monitoring of remote devices is important to me, so I think it needs more improvement with regard to the communication between the agent and the portal.

I have used SolarWinds MSP Remote Monitoring & Management for at least two years now.

At first we had a few problems with the network discovery interface not showing us all the details that we were looking for. I think it was related to a bug on the specific version that we were using, which was fixed in a later version.

We've also come across some web browser issues when accessing the online SolarWinds portal. In particular, we have sometimes run into trouble when creating new portal users. This was mostly related to plugin or extension compatibility issues, if I recall correctly.

Besides that, everything runs smoothly and the software operates as intended.

The tech support was okay. When I encountered any problems, I sent a support request via email and I typically got a response within 24 to 48 hours, depending on the problem.

The actual follow-ups are decent, and we've always been given the right information to solve whatever problem we have come across. I've seen better support, but I wouldn't say that it was lacking in any way.

Initial setup was quite easy. In terms of deployment, the great part is that you can set up one device and with that device's setup configuration, you can just do a full deployment on every other device in the environment. This aspect is a great time-saver and reduces the need to repeatedly call in the IT manager to configure each and every device separately.

In our case, we mostly only require one in-house team member to be responsible for managing and updating the SolarWinds RMM software itself. Otherwise, our company's primary job is to make sure everything is secure and running smoothly.

We use SolarWinds RMM on a pay-as-you-go monthly basis, so the cost can be highly variable because it depends on a few factors such as how many devices you need to support and what extra features you want to use. The more devices you have, the more you'll pay, and the same goes for extras.

I advise others to select only those features that you really need and to scale up the amount of supported devices as your business or client base grows.

We considered Ninja RMM, ConnectWise, and SolarWinds N-Central as alternatives but in the final analysis we chose SolarWinds RMM for cost-efficiency reasons and because it suited our purposes better.

For instance, N-Central was way too sophisticated for our needs, while ConnectWise's payment plan wasn't appropriate for our specific use cases.

What other advice do I have?

SolarWinds RMM is a comprehensive remote monitoring solution with a lot of different features for different scenarios, many of which may not be relevant to your company's operations. Most of these features will add extra costs to using the software, so make sure you select only what you will actually be using or you may have to pay an unnecessarily large bill.

I would rate SolarWinds RMM an eight out of ten.

Other
More N-able Remote Monitoring & Management reviews from users
...who compared it with Kaseya VSA
Learn what your peers think about N-able Remote Monitoring & Management. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,690 professionals have used our research since 2012.