Nagios Core Review

Open-source, good reporting and online documentation, but the GUI needs improvements

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the reports and the way it generates the report in a graphical manner. The creating availability, the ratios, the uptime, downtime, and the outages.

What needs improvement?

Most of the issues have been covered through Nagios XI, but they could select some of the small features that are in the paid version and include them as part of Nagios Core.

Especially the graphical user interface in terms of configuration when you add in hosts, you have to use CAC and CLI to add hosts. You could use the GUI to add hosts instead.

The scalability needs improvement, it's not scalable at this time.

I have been working with Nagios Core for a couple of years.

We are using the latest version.

Nagios Core is a stable solution.

This solution is not scalable at all. If you want to add an AI, or if you wanted to monitor different types of metrics, you won't get the most out of it.

It's not scalable, which is important these days when you want to see more data and how your network is performing.

We have not contacted technical support. Most of the online documentation is helpful.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

I can't say how long it took to deploy as we had several deployments at the same time, but it was not a problem at all. We didn't have any issues.

We are using the open-source, unpaid version.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it for small network deployments or if you have other open source applications or other metrics like utilization, CPU. So if you're running alongside other open source applications and in the small space, it works. But anything beyond that is not recommended.

I would rate Nagios Core a six out of ten.

More Nagios Core reviews from users