Nagios Core Review
When any part of the system went down, it would inform us right away with alerts. In most cases, we were able to find the problem before the client did.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature of Nagios is its monitoring capability. Once you configure it correctly, it will help you monitor all your servers and services.

Improvements to My Organization

When working on ISPs, we used Nagios to monitor all our servers and network switches in the entire city. When any part of the system went down, Nagios would inform us right away with alerts. In most cases, we were able to find the problem before the client did.

Room for Improvement

We use the free version of Nagios, which needs some administrative skills in order to configure correctly. It would be great to see some of the paid features in the free version, such as web-based administration.

Use of Solution

I've used Nagios since 2008 year, and I'm really pleased with it. It helps me a lot with my system administrator work. I used it on my local servers initially, then I started to work at an ISP where I implemented Nagios. It's still in use there.

I rarely upgrade Nagios as everything works fine. I've had no issues deploying it.

I've had no stability issues. It's been very stable.

There have been no issues scaling it.

I've never used tech support and I find all my answers on Google or forums.

I tried Zabbix and OpenNMP but I didn't like them. I use Cacti and SmokePing for detailed graphics.

A few years ago, the initial setup was complex, but now it's not. It just has some config files where you should add your host. Everything is written in the documentation.

Implementation Team

I implemented it by myself.

Other Advice

You should really try Nagios. It will help a lot and I have found that it is the best buddy for system admins.