Nagios Core Review

What is most valuable?

Generally, it's an open source software, so it's free, and despite this, it covers all infrastructure health issues.

How has it helped my organization?

This product covers all of our infrastructure health checks, and has triggers for us to alert us to any unusual behaviour of the monitored systems. It alerts us before our customer is even aware of an issue and we can always fix it before they notice it. We can easily generate any type of notification that we went, and integrate it with other tools using any REST API which is a simple to do.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a much better Nagios Manager GUI that can support all type of configuration items, and advance search options. They should develop a way to avoid restarting the entire application upon making any change, enable parallel checks, and improve SNMP support for SNMP traps.

I've used it for around 10 years

We had no deployment issues.

The product is quite stable, but it needs to be able to support larger amounts of hosts/services checks.

There's been no issues having it monitor our entire infrastructure.

I'm not using any customer service.

I'm not in need of any technical support.

I started with this product.

It was quite straightforward, but I would love to see an RPM package that includes all needed package dependencies.

We used an in-house team. I would advise you to learn from users past experience as it always helps.

What other advice do I have?

Use the Nagios community, and go for the basic product. Design your system configuration before installing the product.

More Nagios Core reviews from users