Nagios Core Review

Valuable Features

Getting the alerts is the most valuable feature. This way I know when servers are acting up or just plainhosed. It also helps me to know which things need to be recovered and when so I do not have to bother with checking into it immediately.

Improvements to My Organization

Before we implemented Nagios, we did not know which servers were up or down until a customer told us. Now, I can see trends over time and it gives me perspective of what needs to be improved and we are able to work proactively as opposed to reactively.

Room for Improvement

Generally, it does what I need it to do, but better error reporting would be great. It's so flexible that I do not use half the capability that it has. Also, Nagios 4 does not work with NConf or Adagios so we haven't upgraded yet.

Use of Solution

I have worked with it as a monitoring and alerting solution for 10 years accross two jobs.

We have had no issues with the deployment.

There have been no performance issues.

We are monitoring under 200 devices and less than 1200 services so I do not need this availability yet.

I've never needed to contact the vendor as I have always found my answers via the documentation and Google searches.

I have used Zabix and Big Brother, but neither was as workable as Nagios.

Setup is not for the GUI lover as it requires you to perform a lot of CLI work.

Implementation Team

You do not need a vendor. I have always deployed it myself.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It's free.

Other Solutions Considered

I have looked at other solutions but none are as simple, and I would hate to have to learn another system.

Other Advice

It's well worth it to ensure your up time and to catch the bigger issues.