Nagios Core Review

It has helped the companies I've worked with to achieve an acceptable level of monitoring. It does not work in a distributed fashion.

Valuable Features:

Extensibility is good as this makes it easy to write checks on your own. Also, it's light as since v4 it isn't resource heavy.

Improvements to My Organization:

No IT company would survive without a monitoring system. Nagios helped the companies I've worked with to achieve an acceptable level of monitoring.

Room for Improvement:

Nagios was not built with scalability in mind. It does not work in a distributed fashion, and fixing this issue would probably require rewriting a big chunk of its code. There are other solutions, born as a fork of Nagios, that do this but it would be great if Nagios could do it.

Use of Solution:

I've been using it for five years.

Deployment Issues:

We have had no issues with the deployment.

Stability Issues:

There have been no performance issues.

Scalability Issues:

It does not scale horizontally. We had to wrote our own web interface and puppetry to manage/view all the hosts managed by various, indipendent Nagios hosts.

Implementation Team:

It's very easy to install Nagios as its package is provided by many Linux distributions and there are plenty of documentation online.

Other Advice:

Don't use it. If Nagios is what you already have, you can try keep using it. If you're starting from scratch, there are products that scale better and perform better, and they use the same plugin syntax as they were initially Nagios forks.

More Nagios Core reviews from users