Nagios Core Review

It is stable and fit for purpose. Setup is bit complicated due to the large set of libraries it needs.

Valuable Features:

It is stable and fit for purpose. Various plugins are available as per your need in the open source marketplace to use and customize according to the need.

Improvements to My Organization:

We use other enterprise products for most monitoring activities. However, Nagios has been the product to go to if we need a cost effective solution that can directly fit our needs. We use it in our business operations center to view dashboards (i.e. it provides a Google map view) of critical systems within stores.

Room for Improvement:

Setup is bit complicated due to the large set of libraries it needs, but this may be because it's open source.

Use of Solution:

We use only Nagios Core.

Deployment Issues:

We have had no issues with the deployment.

Stability Issues:

Stability wise it just works without any major maintenance.

Scalability Issues:

It's highly scalable and will scale according to your needs.

Implementation Team:

It is an open source tool which provides capability to customize it according to the needs. So internally you need to have expertise to consume its servers unless you go for the paid options.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

You should be sure that you have the expertise to customize it, and I would recommend the paid-for Nagios XI for the additional support.

Other Advice:

This is a fit for purpose product which means that if you have a definite list of requirements and are not willing, or unable, to spend money on big enterprise tools, then Nagios is a tool to go to. Also, any changes to the customization means that you need to have the skill sets internally within the organisation to effectively use it. Otherwise it's a great open source product.

More Nagios Core reviews from users