Nagios XI Review

Powerful monitoring that is easy to use and install

What is our primary use case?

I use Nagios to monitor LTE modems. We have more than 24,000 modems on a single instance of Nagios.

We also use this software to monitor several KPIs regarding to CPE devices, and items in our IT department infrastructure when we started eight years ago.

How has it helped my organization?

We use plugins provided by Nagios XI to monitor our infrastructure equipment, OS, Databases and Services from easy to use wizards in monitoring panel. Also, we add some additional features to this monitoring system based on our organization needs.

What is most valuable?

Nagios is stable and it's easy to use the monitoring software, which is why we chose this product. There is no limitation exist to monitor every measurable parameters and KPIs. Every known devices and services parameters has own plugins in this monitoring system and for special cases, it`s possible to write script and monitor results.

What needs improvement?

1. Reporting items needs more improvement and need to be more flexible based on customer needs

2. Clustering feature need to be implemented for large environment. Some solutions introduced in official website such as Mod-Gearman and Nagios Fusion but the first one implemented by third party and second one is not include management control and just a central view from several instances. I think Nagios should implement an official solution for clustering for enterprise and large scales that should be included database solution as well.

I have eight years of experience working with Nagios XI. I have a lot of experience using this monitoring software.

We are using the latest version.

It's a stable solution. We have not had any issues.

We have more than 100 users and plan to continue to use this solution.

We don't have technical support for Nagios because we are living in Iran and we have embargoes, so we cannot use the technical support from Nagios. We use local support.

I use Solarwinds and CACTI before using Nagios but both of them has some concerns.

We cannot add any feature to Solarwinds because it is none open source

CACTI is graphing tool and it cannot help us to alerting issues. Some plugins are implemented for this purpose for CACTI such as Thold plugin but it has not complete feature such as Nagios.

The initial setup was straightforward. It's easy to install, but you need some information about the Linux operating system.

It took less than one hour to deploy.

I completed the implementation myself.

We have a team of three engineers to maintain this solution.

Nagios Core does not have any payment, but Nagios XI requires payment for the license and support.

Solarwinds

CACTI

PRTG

What other advice do I have?

For anyone who is interested in using this solution, I would recommend it. This monitoring software is easy to use and is very powerful.

This monitoring system has a powerful engine. I have many devices being monitored by a single instance, and it can show that this software works well.

I would rate Nagios XI an eight out of ten.

More Nagios XI reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Nagios XI. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
513,091 professionals have used our research since 2012.