Nagios XI Review

Our infrastructure is now under monitoring proactively and we don't have to wait for complaints from the customers/internal operation team.

Valuable Features

• Real Time Alerts
  • Network Map

Improvements to My Organization

Our infrastructure is now under monitoring proactively and we don't have to wait for complaints from the customers/internal operation team to inform regarding any issue with the service.

Room for Improvement

3D datacenter view of the infrastructure to have more specific control of the environment and concept of 360 solution to monitoring is now emerging.

Use of Solution

We've been using it for over a year.

There were no issues during the deployment.

We have had no stability issues.

We've not scaled it as of now.

As it's an opensource project, there is good contribution to, and good support, from blogs and FAQs.

It's a simple setup for a normal Linux users.

Implementation Team

In-house. Its simple deployment but complexity comes once you have to import more plugins. Do check the required infrastructure support before deploying and check alerting mechanism.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The community edition is free, and for an enterprise deployment its costing is good compared to other solutions.

Other Solutions Considered

I have tested Zenoss, ManageEngine solutions - Op Manager and Application Manager. We chose Nagios over Zenoss mainly because of its lightweight interface compared to Zenoss and the ManageEngine free edition has limited nodes.

Other Advice

First you need to do a complete analysis of the nodes and your requirements before implementing Nagios for monitoring.