Nagios XI Review
It's helped us to improve our incident management, problem management, and capacity management.

Valuable Features

It's ability to monitor a good range of services out of the box and it's extensibility with the use of plug-ins, with an active user community sharing community contributed plug-ins to cover monitoring for a very wide range of services and components.

Improvements to My Organization

Room for Improvement

The web interface is perfectly fit for purpose but isn't up there with the best modern admin panels. There is scope for improvement to make it more dynamic and responsive.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for three years.

Nagios XI ships as a virtual appliance and is easily deployed.

There have been no performance issues.

Clear instructions are provided on how to expand the disk capacity of the appliance and the solution can be scaled to allow several distributed Nagios monitoring instances to work together.

Customer service is excellent.

I haven't needed any technical support.

We previously used the free version of Nagios and decided that the commercially packaged version Nagios XI was well worth the cost and reduced the admin overhead significantly.

Initial setup is straightforward and allows monitored hosts to be added one-by-one using a wizard or added in bulk using the bulk add tool.

Implementation Team

An in-house implementation was done. I would advise that you need to understand the overall basic architecture of Nagios before implementing it.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

In my view this product is very good value for money when compared with other commercially provided monitoring solutions.

Other Advice

Implementation is best done by people with a good general Linux/open source skill set. If you have these kinds of people then implementing Nagios should be fairly straightforward. If you have a bunch of Window admins who've never touched a Linux system, then implementation could be a challenge.