Nagios XI Review

Provides for better network visibility and identification of connection problems

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for the monitoring of network devices in multiple areas. I use this solution on a daily basis, and the first thing that I do when I go into the workplace each morning is to check on all of the equipment.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has improved our ability to determine the source of a connection failure in our network. Prior to using Nagios XI, we did not know whether the drop in service was a result of our system, or whether it was the fault of our service provider. Now, we are able to monitor the service provider's router and make that determination.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its support for different types of devices, where it can use all of the equipment that you need. You can find and change your speed in the network topology, and if something goes down then it will be noticed immediately.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more customization in the network map because it is a bit tricky to use it.

First, when you click on one of the devices on the map, it shows you information about the equipment. Sometimes, there is information that I do not want to show. I would instead like to choose what is shown.

Next, I would like to have the ability to show only a subset of equipment on the network map. When you view it, all of the equipment that you have is there, every time. Sometimes, I would like to choose just a group of devices to view.

Four months.

This is a stable solution. On a scale of one to ten, I would rate the stability a nine.

The scalability is perfect. I can add as much equipment as I like.

I have not needed to contact technical support. Everything installed easily and it works fine.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

The deployment took approximately one hour. The difficult part is configuring the equipment, such as setting up the IP addresses. Because I have more than fifty devices, it took me some time. The task is simple, albeit repetitive.

The licensing fees for this solution are approximately $3,000 USD per year.

When I was researching solutions I read about Nagios XI, and it was rated as one of the best solutions. I tried it and I liked it, which is why it was selected.

What other advice do I have?