Nakivo Review

Four times the reduction in cost of our vSphere backups, though lacks direct integration with common backup storage arrays

What is most valuable?

• Good VM level backups
  • File level and VM level restores
  • Efficient deduplication data repositories

How has it helped my organization?

• Four times the reduction in the cost of our vSphere backups, which provides the base features required for our environment.
  • Job copy features allows backup repositories to be replicated to a secondary data center.
  • VM level replication jobs can be used to create DR strategies by replicating VMs to another datacenter.

What needs improvement?

• Lacks application brick-level restore capability, although 7.2 introduces it for the SQL Server.
  • Lacks direct integration with common backup storage arrays, like Data Domain or HPE StoreOnce.

One year personally. More than two years for the company.

Some VM backup jobs hang periodically and cannot be stopped, except by restarting the Nakivo Director node.

The product scales well. Additional transporter virtual appliances or servers can be deployed to handle larger numbers of virtual machines. Additional repositories can be added to accommodate backup data with options of locally attached storage and remote storage.

Very good. It is as simple as sending an email with direct and easy questions/responses, which is received quickly. Usually, the first response is the resolution.

Extremely straightforward to set up:

1. Deploy a virtual appliance.
  2. Simple configuration process.

While the feature set lags behind other vSphere backup products, Nakivo is a very inexpensive backup alternative which provides the basic features needed by many customers.

What other advice do I have?

If hardware or software specific integrations are important for your business, this is probably not the best fit. The software is likely the best fit for small to medium business which does not need all the advanced features of competitors' software.