Nakivo Review

What is our primary use case?

I have a small environment with two hosts since most of our services are running in the cloud. We are a cautious group and we keep a copy of our files on-premise, as well as in the cloud. We are using NAKIVO for backing up our file storage and virtual machines.

How has it helped my organization?

The product has enabled me to concentrate on other tasks without worrying about the daily backups. Once I was past the initial setup and testing, I was confident that the product would perform reliably and as expected. So far, I have not been disappointed.

What is most valuable?

The quick and easy setup of the ready-made virtual appliance made it simple to deploy. It was running within an hour. The interface is easy to understand and it gets the job done with a clean GUI. Perfect for someone who doesn't want to waste time.

What needs improvement?

The software is aimed at backing up VM images but it would be nice to have an option to just backup certain files/folders and not the entire disk.

Less than one year.

NAKIVO is very stable and reliable. I am running an appliance that is just a virtual machine, and it has not given me any issues so far.

I have not tested the scalability of the product, but based on the features it should be as easy as the rest of the product is to use.

My experience with support has been good, but I really haven't needed their help much.

I previously used VMware VDP for backing up my virtual machines. This was complex and difficult to maintain. I wanted to switch to something that would not take as much time to manage.

The setup was simple and easy. Using the virtual appliance, all I needed to do was deploy the OVF (Open Virtualization Format) file, then set up the networking, storage, and connect the hosts. It doesn't confuse you with jargon or fancy interfaces, it's easy to use.

I implemented this by myself within an hour. I consider myself to have an intermediate level of expertise, but I believe a beginner should not have a problem with this either.

I recognize my return on investment as the amount of time I have saved by implementing this solution. It was fast to deploy, quick to configure, and with little to no maintenance necessary, it is easy to manage.

Setup is simple and with a ready-made virtual appliance, it makes deployment even faster. All you need is the capacity for running the appliance and storage on your existing VM host. Pricing is easy to understand and very affordable.

Two of the other options that I considered were Veeam and Vembu.

What other advice do I have?

The product is a time saver and makes complex tasks easy to handle. A must-have for beginners and one-person teams.