Nakivo Review

Quick and easy to set up, a clean GUI, and efficient deduplication

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for backing up and replicating virtual machines.

We have a small environment with two hosts. Both of them are Levono servers with ESXi 6.5 U2 and fifteen virtual machines. All of the VMs are Windows and we have file, SQL, and Exchange servers.

How has it helped my organization?

Nakivo has enabled me to concentrate on other tasks without worrying about the daily backups. It has given us more confidence in the infrastructure thanks to the replication. The virtual machines are fundamental for the daily functioning of the company, so a failure would have a very damaging impact, and incur a great economic cost.

What is most valuable?

The quick and easy setup of the virtual appliance made it simple and fast to deploy.

The interface is easy to understand and it gets the job done with a clean GUI.

Efficient deduplication and compression.

It is fast, simple, powerful, and has a price without competition.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have the option of creating a subfolder per job in the backup repository because we had an issue where some files were corrupted and we lost the backup of the majority of the VMs.

I would like a clearer log of errors. I enabled the schedule for space reclamation on the repository, but after one day I found that the repository was detached and the GUI didn’t give a status of the scheduled task.

We have been using this solution for three months.

We didn't have a different backup solution for virtual environments.

I advise that this is the best product for medium or small environments according to my
cost-benefit analysis.

I tested Veeam, but I ultimately chose Nakivo because of the difference in cost.