NAVEX Global Review

Provides the ability to access documents and policies from mobile devices, computers, and remote locations.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features include:

• Ability to access our documents from mobile devices, computers, or anywhere else from a remote location.
  • Ability to access our policies from mobile devices, computers, or anywhere else from a remote location.
  • Reduced the need to have paper policies that some would be updated. We would have to provide those to all of our employees and we would provide the updated sheets, but they wouldn't update their own books.

There are also multiple benefits:

• Accessing policies.
  • Accuracy of policies.
  • Viewing policies that need to be in place.

How has it helped my organization?

It has given us the ability to see the actual policies the way that they were intended to be written and utilized. We are an accredited agency, ambulance service, and so it gave us a lot of credibility with our policies with that accreditation agency. It really cut back on the policy management workload.

What needs improvement?

• Recent product update led to confusion.
  • Need to adapt the product for less computer-literate and older users.
  • Ambulance staff often cannot afford time to learn or re-learn systems.
  • Try to minimize product updates.
  • Reduce the price.

We have used it for approximately a year.

I did not encounter any stability issues from the policy tech end. It's been more connectivity issues with our own IT department. The only problems we have encountered have been at our end and not the NAVEX Global end.

We have not encountered any scalability issues. We are using it with three different agencies and we've got a parent company that was involved in the purchase of the product. We've got 275 employees on the system and we've inputted probably close to 1000 different policies and haven't noticed any problem at all. You can actually get so much information in there that anybody who's required to read all of it may have trouble reading it all. It gave us a very broad platform upon which to put our policies. We've got not only policies and procedures, but multiple different HR administrative policies. I uploaded our medical protocols on it to where they would be accessible 24/7 to crews that might need them. To summarize, we've encountered absolutely no issues with loading too much information into it.

I would give technical support a ranking of 10. Even when we have had issues, I have contacted them and they were able to determine fairly quickly that the problem was not on their end but on our end. This pointed me in the right direction and gave me the information that I needed to get our people to do what was required.

We did use a previous solution before I was the one that was pushed for NAVEX Global. We used a paper system and it was very difficult. We also tried to build our own computerized system and had to manually load just one agency data into 27 different computers. This is before you begin to think of updates. where you have to send somebody out to manually update it all.

This product, unlike others, doesn't just lose the old policies, once you insert a new one, or update them. It actually archives the old ones and that's a very important part of our accreditation process, and one that we didn't have before. It used to take me about a year or 14 months to perform the entire accreditation from start to finish and a big part of that is the policies and procedures. I was able to reduce that to about seven months and it literally saved hundreds of hours of work.

Initial setup was a little complicated. On a scale of 1 to 10 for complexity, I'd give it a 6. I'm over 50 years old and learning computers, and I sometimes still struggle with the setup maybe because I don't get in there and use it as much.

Initially, the learning curve was a little bit high, but then once I got all the policies and we started uploading them, it was fine. Now that I've backed off from that, I'm just monitoring and once in a while updating a policy, I have to go back and think about what I'm doing again before I can get that policy loaded. It could be an easier setup, but there's so much information that goes into setting up one policy and you want to get it right so you just have to stop and think about it. If I can do it, anybody can.

I don't know if they really could make it easier now. It's not easy, but I'm not certain it's supposed to be. There's so much information that has to be there that it's more difficult in my head than it is to use the program. It's pretty straightforward once you start looking at it.

I figured it takes me roughly 2400 hours to do the accreditations. It probably cut at least 700 of those hours out of there. That is a big cost saving.

I know that my superiors are looking at a product that's maybe cheaper because the pricing was fairly expensive. But I convinced them that the product was shortening the number of man hours to get those policies out in a proper format. Keeping management on board may be a little difficult. In the healthcare sector, cutting costs is always the order and it would be easy for them to cut this product. On the other hand, it will make my job much harder with all that entails.

Before choosing, there were four different options that I was looking at. Going through all the tutorials and talking with the salespeople, really sold me on NAVEX Global because I thought they were the gold standard for that type of policy format. I understand that there are competitors where, every once in a while, somebody will do it bigger and better. As long as they keep up with these competitors and put out a good product, I don't think they'll have any problems selling it, as it is so much more comprehensive than competing products.

What other advice do I have?

• Do your research.
  • Find out what exactly you want the product to do.
  • Find out how many man-hours you can save by going with a system like this.
  • What really sells it more than anything is the number of hours, especially for my accreditation needs.

In addition, you get a decrease in liability because everybody knows the policies and you don't end up with confusion on people not knowing how to do their jobs or having old information rather than the new information as things change. It's not just healthcare that changes.

This product really helps with change and makes transition a lot easier, and facilitates training new employees where you can just send them right off to a computer program and have them read current policies that you know are current so there's no question from new employees about what's expected of them and their jobs.