Neotys NeoLoad Review

We are able to generalize all of the performance testers to the point that any tester can update and execute any script instead of having individual domain experts who may be unavailable or busy.

What is most valuable?

• Graphical test creation
  • Centralized test and results repository
  • License management

How has it helped my organization?

With the simplicity of the test design interface, little domain knowledge is required for each scripted application, so we are able to generalize all of the performance testers to the point that any tester can update and execute any script instead of having individual domain experts who may be unavailable or busy. This has allowed us to keep more scripts updated easier than ever and keep a constant flow of performance tests in the pipeline, removing some dependence on human interaction.

What needs improvement?

If there was ever a way to bring the same level of ease to advanced scripting with Javascript to make it as easy as a regular test in NeoLoad, I would love to see it.

Some type of global test scheduler where different tests could be arranged on a calendar to automatically execute would help scheduling and provide visibility into the test environment.

Tighter integration with NeoSense and perhaps TFS integration to open defects for performance issues would also be nice.

I've used it for 12 months.

We've had no issues with deployment.

There have been no stability issues.

Running very large populations on one machine would max out NIC-level capacity far before CPU/memory would provide indication of bottlenecks, but running a distributed test alleviated this issue.

8/10

8/10

We previously used HP LoadRunner, and we switched due to cost, support competence, and the scripting interface.

It's straightforward to install and configure, but complex to convert scripts from a previous product to work in NeoLoad.

We implemented it in-house.

We've gotten 20% increase in tests-per-sprint and 35% decrease in time taken to create a script. We also have cost savings of over one million dollars annually.

Purchase a few extra licenses to allow for flexibility, utilizing the team server as much as possible.

• HP LoadRunner
  • JMeter
  • Appvance
  • Rational Performance Tester

What other advice do I have?

Take the time to see what NeoLoad can do when scripted from scratch and remember that it takes a bit of time to become an expert with the advanced features. Some complex actions may require written code, but there is very little that is actually impossible to test with NeoLoad. The limit is usually a function of experience with the software.