NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS) Review

The peak loads on a software install for VDI desktops now have lower latency. If the price for SSDs comes down and we can switch everything to flash, that would be an improvement.

What is most valuable?

The features most valuable to us are--

• A-SIS deduplication
  • vServer DR, which is a new feature in v8.3.1

How has it helped my organization?

The peak loads on a software install for VDI desktops now have lower latency. Previously, we had a 3240 with HDDs. For normal operation the HDDs with flash cache were fine, but for virus scans and software installations/patching, we would start at midnight and end at three or four am. However, sometimes at four deduplication operations would start and that runs concurrently with the installation that isn’t complete. So as a consequence, we had terrible latency until 11 or 12 so our users were unhappy with that situation. With the AFF, we have absolutely no problem at all.

What needs improvement?

It’s still new so the only thing I can think of is if the price for SSDs comes down and we can switch everything to flash, that would be an improvement.

I've used it for three years. We're currently running VDI on it with ONTAP.

We had an easy deployment because we have a VMware environment where we use vMotion from the old FAS to the new AFF.

Very stable, 100% uptime.

It scales to our needs.

8/10.

8/10.

We used FAS and we switched because of the above reasons.

It was straightforward.

We used a vendor team who were 10/10.

Straightforward.

The situation before was terrible; we had things to do and couldn’t. It was a high pressure situation. 3,000 people couldn’t work for four hours. Now they can start working on time.

No other options were evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a good product, performs well and is easy to get up and running. If you need the speed, go for it.

More NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS) reviews from users