NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS) Review

It allows us to shrink the maintenance windows and downtime, although it would be great to combine all the software solutions together under a single GUI.

What is most valuable?

• Clustered Data ONTAP
  • Snapshot implementation for SAP

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to shrink the maintenance windows and downtime. It provides faster replications between systems because of the installed flash.

What needs improvement?

ONTAP has a lot of features that are really great, so I don’t think there is something missing that I'd like to have.

However, the best way to improve would be to have better management over the solutions globally (not a part of the software OnCommand, VFA, etc. installed). It would be great to combine all the software solutions together under a single GUI and people can just activate different features as they buy a license as apposed new installs each time.

We've been using it for four months in a multiple system environment with a lot of small writes. This was installed for an SAP HANA system as the persistency layer.

There has been no downtime yet -- perfect stability.

It scales to our needs.

10/10

We didn't have anything similar in use previously.

It's a straightforward and easy setup. It was guided and we had the documents to install it. It took around two days of racking, stacking, and installation.

I did the implementation myself.

We looked also looked at EF from NetApp and chose AFF because of the snapshot technology.

What other advice do I have?

It's definitely worth it if you need the speed.