NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS) Review

I expect it to provide us a lot more speed because of low latency and clustered Data ONTAP, although the current version has some problems with global deduplication.

What is most valuable?

Clustered Data ONTAP

Low latency

My company uses mostly NetApp products, so I have existing knowledge of using their products.

How has it helped my organization?

We're still testing it, but I expect it to provide us a lot more speed because of low latency and clustered Data ONTAP.

What needs improvement?

They still have to reduce in price when compared to their competitors. Also, the current version has some problems with global deduplication.

It's not yet in full production, but I have been testing the product for few month now with VMware.

I've had no issues deploying it in our test environment.

We do not expect any issues, and have had none so far.

It has problems with deduplication when done globally.

Their customer service is one of the best, and I am a demanding customer.

• Tier 1 – room for improvement as they hold onto tickets for too long
  • Tier 2– much more serious

From my experience with NetApp products, initial setup is going to be nice and easy. We are very techy, so it was easy for us.

The majority of work was based on existing knowledge, but we also got help from the vendor.

We considered Kaminario and XtremIO. We chose NetApp in order to utilize current resources.

What other advice do I have?

It has better adaptation than pure flash solutions such as XtremIO. It’s important to learn the weak spots of the suppliers in the market, and I can say that I have great expectations for the migration of the flash array to disc via cluster.