NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS) Review

We're using only about one fifth of the formal capabilities of the systems. We're still running Oracle DW and 50% of the system is consumed, but this is not causing any issues during daily business.

Valuable Features

The GUI that does the daily maintenance and system manager with SnapMirror and deduplication are very useful for us.

We used the system manager for developed distribution.

Also, the latencies are extremely low, below 0.5 milliseconds.

Improvements to My Organization

I'd say we're using only about one fifth of the formal capabilities of the systems. We're still running Oracle DW and 50% of the system is consumed, but this is not causing any issues during daily business.

We're also able to move volumes across aggregates.

Use of Solution

We've used it for about three months for Oracle EW and VMware. We have it with 50TB flash and an SSD shell.

We've had no problems with deployment.

It’s very, very stable, no issues at all. The primary system is flash, which is very responsive, with latency very low, below 1.5ms. We are early adopters of it.

The scalability is excellent. We still can grow a lot into it and add more databases.

The level of technical support depends on the ticket. It’s generally good, and sometimes excellent. Some cases are not as completed as I would like them to be. On average, it’s 7 out of 10.

Previously, we used EMC.

Deployment was really very easy because we were somehow experienced with moving the system into other data centers. We went into a similar exercise about the end of last year where we moved into different areas of the data centers and have been running two data centers. We used Data Guard for Oracle workloads so the downtime was very low because we simply had to switch over during migration. The skill set was already there in the company. We almost did not need any system administrator. They provided the amounts for running NFS.

Implementation Team

We got a partner to do the setup. Their knowledge was there and we had no issues.

ROI

It's working as expected, but we didn't calculate an ROI.

Other Solutions Considered

We did not, and when I joined, I proposed using NetApp and this was accepted.

Other Advice

I would absolutely encourage everybody to implement such a system because it's really, really performing so good and latencies are just excellent. We're on the SSDs which have been productive for three months.