NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS) Review

We're able to treat more patients now because our workloads are performing faster, though I'd like to see online duplication, which I believe will be available with 8.3.2.

What is most valuable?

For us in the health care sector, the most valuable feature is quality of service because we're able to stop the workloads from taking over other workloads that are more important.

We have storage virtual machines at work, so we're able to segregate and distinguish between different workloads. I think local HFL might as well form the natural process side of things, which is an improvement from 7-Mode.

How has it helped my organization?

We're able to treat more patients now because our workloads are performing faster.

What needs improvement?

We've been using it for the past four months or five months with lots of clinical applications that deal with healthcare, and VMs with SQL.

We've had no issues with deployment.

We've had no crashes. We have experienced a couple of problems based on configuration and books. I believe these issues are going to be addressed in an update, but for now I think they are just focused on the reiteration of what the best practices are.

It scales to our needs.

7/10, as there were a couple of issues which took technical support some time to handle.

We have used Fusion-io for flash but nothing in SAN. We were looking to address performance issues, and NetApp addressed them.

I think we took about two weeks to get up and running. We performed initial tests and diagnostic tests, all the results of which surpassed our expectations. We were able to get 400,000 IOPS from our system processor.

We used a mix of three days with NetApp, another three days with a partner, and everything else was done in-house.

We won't have a number until we've fully migrated, but so far it looks good.

We were looking at Pure Storage and a couple of other vendors who had all-in-one solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I think it fits a lot of peoples requirements, but I'd recommend waiting until v8.3.2 just for the additional features and to resolve some books. Other than that, it's great.