NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS) Review

I no longer worry about disk utilization problems.

What is most valuable?

For sure, the most valuable features are the compression and dedupe on there. We gain so much more back than we thought we were going to get; that was one of the biggest things. I don't have to worry about any kind of disk utilization problems because of the spindles or anything; that's what we've always experienced.

How has it helped my organization?

We shrunk our footprint and get a lot more power for the same thing; makes it simple.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see compaction, the new feature in ONTAP 9. We haven't gotten that yet. We just got everything to CDOT.

Stability’s great. I have zero worries, unlike the 6080s; that thing was unstable as heck. This thing's great.

I like the scalability, too, because the footprint is small. You just add shelves, add to it, swap it out.

We've called technical support many times. It's good. We're very hands-on in our organization, so the first level usually isn't that helpful. We usually give them about five or 10 minutes to work on it, then we say, “OK, let's escalate this; let's not spend an hour here”, but they're always helpful. It's just a matter of the first level being the first level; they don't have the insight to do any more.

We knew we needed to invest in the All Flash FAS because we were on 6200 series with 300 GB drives. We were very obsolete and we didn't want to go to a large platform, so we went to that. The price point was easy because they priced it so cheap.

I was involved with the initial setup; did the whole thing. We build it, from the time they ship it. Once they get it to us, I take care of everything; networks, the whole nine yards. It’s straightforward. It's very easy, but of course we've been doing this for years, so it could be complex and we wouldn't care.

The price keeps coming down and it's going to keep coming down.

I did not evaluate other options; that was it.

What other advice do I have?

It depends on their feature set. If they just need a niche product, they may want to go to a different platform; not that they need to, but they could consider that. If they're looking for something that covers everything, then the All Flash FAS will be enough.

All of it's pretty simple. All the feature sets are very straightforward to me, coming from the FAS environment.

I have given it a perfect rating because it's easy. Nothing's wrong with it. I don't have any problems. It's easy to set up. I'm good to go. I don't have any issues with it. It's very easy to use.

The most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with is that they consider our needs instead of trying to shove something down our throat.