NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS) Review

We deploy high-demand applications, and it's the fastest we can get through this vendor.

What is most valuable?

It's the fastest that we can get through NetApp. We're deploying all these high-demanding applications and it's the best of the best, so of course we went with it, being a big NetApp customer.

How has it helped my organization?

In the transportation industry, we have a lot of demand for analytics and on-demand data, big data, and AFF provides what we need in terms of the quick read and write.

We spend less time thinking about performance and more time being able to worry about actual problems and the customer. Of course, the customer is the most important part of business.

What needs improvement?

I would rate it higher if it didn’t cost as much. It's a bit pricey.

Other than that, it's got what we need. I don't really have any suggestions for what it doesn't offer. I'm happy with what it has. I think it's only gotten better, especially with the 8.3 release and obviously ONTAP.

Both the GUI and the command line have exactly what you need and I have no problem navigating either of them.

I have not encountered any stability or scalability issues; absolutely no issues whatsoever. The only issue is how fast we can put them in.

We have rarely required technical support. Usually, it's just a one-off type thing and I've never had any issues getting what we needed out of them. They're always knowledgeable; never had a problem.

I was not at this company before they started using AFF.

I was not involved in the initial setup.

I have not evaluated other options.

What other advice do I have?

Be sparing in capacity and don't just throw it around. Storage is cheap now, but AFF, as I’ve mentioned, is not cheap, so be cautious in how you use it. That’s something that needs to be analyzed before you start the process. It’s the kind of good homework to prepare. I think that goes for anything, but doubly for expensive flash. Just make sure that's really what you want and what you need.

When I’m looking at vendors, I need them to know exactly what they're selling to me does. I need them to know the competition, so they're offering a fair comparison and not just offering a vendor lock-in type situation.

More NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS) reviews from users