NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS) Review

Replication and performance are key features for us - we have extemely low latency

What is our primary use case?

We use it for all of our VM storage.

How has it helped my organization?

I don't know if it improved the way our organization functions, but I know we don't have any storage outages or slowdowns at this point. We just did a refresh about six months ago to the A700s and we have been very happy with the performance of those boxes.

Our latency is extremely low. We average below a millisecond.

What is most valuable?

The replication would be one of the most valuable features. That's not just on the All Flash FAS, but that's a big one. The performance is also good.

What needs improvement?

I'm not sure if they can do it. We are using encryption. I'd like the deduplication crossed volumes encrypted. But I don't know if that's really technically possible.

The stability has been really good. We've had just a couple of minor hardware issues but nothing big; DIMMs that were bad and that had to be replaced. But it's been very good so far.

I know it scales but we are not looking to scale it out at this point.

Technical support is a little hit and miss, at least with the particular things that I've called for. The SRA stuff that intergrades with SRM is a problem point. It's a pain point. The support personnel aren't always knowledgeable on that product. At times, they are not even aware what product is supported and what is not, when one has been deprecated and there is a new one out, and what the bug fixes of the newer version are.

It was straightforward. We did greenfield. We went to two new data centers so the installation of it was pretty straightforward.

We used an integrator. It was very good. We partnered with them a couple times before, which makes for a pretty easy and seamless transition. And ONTAP is easy that way anyway, but they do a really good job of making it an easy transition.

We were pretty heavily invested in NetApp. We did look at INFINIDAT, but it just wasn't something that we were comfortable with.

What other advice do I have?

The product is about a nine out of then. We have been very happy with the performance. There have been a few minor issues. We failover a couple times a year. In some of the failovers, the SRAs haven't worked exactly as designed. If the SRA was better, maybe not bundled in with the whole Snap solution, that might help.

More NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS) reviews from users