NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS) Review

The file-based protocol supports NFS and CIFS

What is our primary use case?

Whenever we face any issues with performance, particularly any performance with our high outreaching storage site, we are recommended to use an all-flash service, because we rely on our primary solution at all times. If it seem like there are issues, we have bring in different vendors as a buffer. We have adopted an all-flash primary solution with this use case.

How has it helped my organization?

From the automation point of view, we want zero down time for our clients with good scalability and good performance. Client satisfaction is the most important to us.

We haven't received any negative feedback yet. If we are not receiving any complaints from the client side, then it says that the client is okay with the product.

This solution helps us improve performance for our enterprise applications, data analytics, and VMs.

What is most valuable?

• NetApp AFF is based on Unix, which makes it secure.
  • The file-based protocol supports NFS and CIFS.
  • Capacity and latency with the AFF are good. We haven't seen a delay of latency nor performance issues. No issues have been recorded from the client so far.

What needs improvement?

There are some bugs with the solution which need to be fixed.

The client should not record with any type of stability issues, whether it be latency or features being affected. We should not find any module portions being affected because of performance issues. There should be continuous good performance as long as product performs.

The scalability is good.

For vendor coordination, the technical support has been good. They do good work and analysis on things that I need. They specifically provide good answers to my questions.

Our previous solution had issues with capacity, monitoring, and performance. These are the core areas where the customer was feeling the pain. So, we get them to a different place with a proper solution and fix for the issues. I feel like AFF has the features the customer needs.

Other vendors, who do other similar solution products, envy the features that come with this NetApp product.

Our shortlist was Dell EMC and HPE. These are the vendors with whom I have worked. I feel all the vendors are very good, along with NetApp. However, NetApp has file-based and block-based features, which gives it additional value.

What other advice do I have?

We have connected this solution to public clouds. We have different clients using the public cloud solution. Our public cloud has clients signed up for SAP HANA. There are many applications which are running on front-end databases, like Oracle, MySQL, etc.