NetApp All Flash FAS Review
It's given us the ability to move from a switchless cluster setup to a switched cluster setup without any impact on performance or availability.

Valuable Features

• Clustered Data ONTAP 8.3.1
  • Great storage device
  • It can handle higher workloads and has faster response times.

The function I like best on the NetApp cluster is the ability to move from a switchless cluster setup to a switched cluster setup without any impact on performance or availability. We did this recently during a normal workday with zero impact -- quite impressive, I must say.

Improvements to My Organization

We were able to seamlessly go from a switchless cluster to the AFF. We did it with zero downtime, it was done during a normal workday without maintenance, and it had no impact on performance.

Room for Improvement

I don’t like to the monitoring systems available from NetApp as they do not give me the proper insight into performance problems which might occur. Recently, NetApp brought out their Graphite and Grafana tools in Harvest. To have all the metrics available in Graphite or Grafana is a really cool improvement.

Use of Solution

We've been using it since March for our functional testing and QA. We use our Netapp AFF in a cluster mode setup in combination with a flashpool NetApp. This Netapp cluster is used to serve our QA environment. Whenever we have machines which demand high IO or low latency we move them into the Netapp AFF volumes.

We only need one person maintaining it, and it’s very stable. There’s been no crashes with the new 8.1 Cluster Mode.

It is scaling to our needs.

8-9/10

8-9/10

This is the first all-flash product I've used.

It's a straightforward Next > Next > Finish setup, like Windows.

Implementation Team

We did it with a vendor who were 9/10.

Other Solutions Considered

We performed a good comparison between it and EMC XtremIO and HP 3PAR, and decided to use NetApp. We chose NetApp because we had used them before and we know how to troubleshoot it. Also, no other vendor offers the cluster mode and isolation of the performance through virtual machines.

Other Advice

Just go for it.

Free Quote

We will send you a quote of NetApp All Flash FAS within 24 hours.

1 Comment

Fatih AltunbasUser

Sorry but wasnt the title something like "Research HPE 3PAR Flash...but choose NetApp..."? I dont see any conclusions about 3PAR. So this article isn´t very helpful at all.

23 April 18