NetApp Cloud Backup Review

There is no one who needs to babysit and manage everything. It automatically does the job.

How has it helped my organization?

We used to have a tape backup. The tape backup has so many operations and orders. With AltaVault, everything is automatic. There is no one who needs to babysit and manage everything. It automatically does all these jobs.

What is most valuable?

Once you set it up, we have a Symantec Backup. We set up all the policies around the call data, because it's very simple. Therefore, you don't need somebody to babysit it. It's just set it up and forget it; plug it in and let it go.

What needs improvement?

We use it in the plants right now. We use NetBackup just as a cataloging service, so if NetApp would probably make it in one box (integrating it), then it would work better to marry to other catalogs. That's the one thing. Everything built it, it could be more beneficial to customers.

To clarify, the catalog feature is lacking, and you need to depend on somebody else.

It's stable. I don't think there's any problem in stability. They made a stable product.

There may be some issues with the scalability.

For this case, we don't really need to scale, it's not our primary thing. As long as it backs up automatically and everything.

We haven't used it and don't need it. There's no support calls to talk about.

I was involved in the initial setup. It was very straightforward.

We chose this solution because we were in touch with a sale representative, and they introduced us to the new products. They knew what product we could include. We like to keep it that way, so it keeps the management very easy. One product, one company, and one number that we call for any issues. It makes it very easy.

What other advice do I have?

AltaVault is very economical. You don't need big expertise to manage this product. If you are working school and building a table, this is the best product. You can make it very low cost, and at the same time, it's a great investment.

We use cloud-based backup with AWS and NetBackup as our backup software. Basically, what we do is take the snapshot backup through AltaVault, encrypt it, and put it on the database.

Most important criteria for selecting a vendor: They would have to be in business for five years and should have a clear road map, for stability and everything. It's not that someone can just open a company and you're the top one in the first three years, but if you don't have a clear road map of your vision, then it makes it difficult.