NetApp Cloud Backup Review

Advantages include on-prem and enables fast recovery, but we have also experienced a lot of crashes

What is most valuable?

• On-prem
  • Fast recovery
  • Moving away from tape and archiving to the cloud

How has it helped my organization?

We're still into the development, bringing it into production, but we had issues with performance so we're not fully in production yet. The jobs we have baseline into the AltaVault, it seems to be able to recover faster than the previous solution.

What needs improvement?

We would like

• reliable monitoring
  • to be able to offload into glacier naturally, through policy
  • to unlock the file system restriction between the on-prem cache and the logical space.

We've had a lot of issues, crashed the service console a lot, service crashes. One of the motherboards died because it hit a bug. They shipped all the AltaVaults with the same OS that had the same bug condition. We've upgraded now, we hit all their bugs with AD authentication, all the issues, so we're trying to solve those right now.

We haven't gotten to the point that we need to scale it yet.

We're still working with a PS engineer. Tech support, when we raised some of the issues we had, has been 50-50. Sometimes there seem to be conflicting answers, then it gets escalated. Then we get the actual solution to the problem.

What other advice do I have?

We use AltaVault for cloud-based back up. We have connected it to a public cloud service.

I gave it a seven out of 10 because right now we're just performing at an average, it's not blowing away.

If I were to advise a colleague at another company who is researching this or a similar solution, I would say make sure you get a good PS engineer involved. It needs maturity. I'd wait another year to see where the OS is.