NetApp Cloud Backup Review

They listen to what their customers are saying. Missing reporting visibility into files in local cache.

What is most valuable?

Replacing an aging tape infrastructure by being able to backup to local cache as well as to the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

• Able to reduce administrative burden on tape management.
  • Able to simplify and streamline our backup process.

What needs improvement?

More in depth reporting about the files in local cache: Where they are, how much there are, and what files it is moving to and from the cloud, as it needs to. Most of that's kind of behind the magic curtain process that we don't have a whole lot of visibility into.

Also, we were actually able to discover a bug in the product that they're still working on. We've been working with their tech support trying to get it fixed. It's a bug with the Server Message Block (SMB) Protocol with older Windows operating systems. This is something we absolutely want fixed in the future, basically as soon as possible.

We haven't had any stability problems (full uptime).

We have not had any issues yet, though we haven't scaled either.

They listen to what their customers are saying.

We have extensively used tech support. It's decent.

We were previously using LTO-5 with Quantum. We switched because our tape infrastructure was rapidly becoming unable to handle the amount of backup data, and our engineers were having to replace tapes very frequently as well as the speed of backup, and just the management. Our business was quickly moving to a backup everything forever model, which tape is not geared towards.

I was involved in the initial setup in my organization. We connected AltaVault to to AWS Glacier, and for backup software, EMC NetWorker.

The initial setup was fairly straightforward. There were not many issues at all with the setup and configuration. The Glacier side setup was a little unclear, due to some problem with documentation, but we were able to work through it together.

We chose AltaVault based on a couple of insights ago, when NetApp first purchased it from Riverbed, we are also a Riverbed customer and so we figured that would fit very well. Most of our data is on NetApp, so we figured it would be a very easy transition. I believe we looked at a couple of other products from other vendors, but the NetApp solution seemed to be the most robust for us.

What other advice do I have?

They're adding more to the product, and the overall vision of the product is correct and true.

Definitely make sure to look at the system requirements, make sure that you're onboard, and give it a try. Make sure you have people on your staff that are familiar with cloud, because it can be a little tough to set up if you're not already familiar with it.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• Previous experience with vendor is always good.
  • Industry penetration
More NetApp Cloud Backup reviews from users
...who work at a Media Company
...who compared it with VMware vDPA [EOL]
Find out what your peers are saying about NetApp, Veeam Software, Commvault and others in Cloud Backup. Updated: June 2021.
523,372 professionals have used our research since 2012.