NetApp Cloud Volumes Service for Google Cloud Review

A good service for high availability that is very easy to configure

What is our primary use case?

We use it for shared volumes in some environments as well as for high availability.

How has it helped my organization?

We use the Snapshot systems to store the backups for security.

The service allows us to fine tune storage and capacity on the fly, as our needs grow and shrink over time.

The service enables us to share data across VMs. It is mandatory to share these volumes with multiple VMs, so we use it for shared volumes.

What is most valuable?

• High availability - there is no other way to achieve this.
  • Shared volumes, because there aren't any options from Google Cloud to have shared volumes.

High availability is very important to us because we have a production environment. High availability is the highest priority for us to continue keeping our systems running.

We use a Snapshot every day. It is well-implemented and very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The user interface has room for improvement. We would like this service to be more integrated with Google Cloud. In Azure is very easy to manage and use. It was easy to create volumes and add capacity pools in Azure, but in Google Cloud, we can only create separate volumes. We need more management or configuration options in the user interface.

We would like them to improve the deployment of the service in other regions of Europe.

For six months.

It is very stable. In six months, we haven't had any issues with the service.

The SLAs are a bit slow at 99.9 percent which is the SLA of the worst resource in place, that is networking at Google's.

We haven't had any issues with the scalability. It is very easy to scale up.

This is for application storage used by 90,000 users.

We have had some consulting meetings, and they were very helpful with us. They shared everything.

We did use another solution (GlusterFS), this is a unmanaged solution and had no Regional  HA.

The initial setup was very easy.

The interface provides you the comments that you need to deploy (including gcloud commands). Then, you create the network layer and volumes, which is very easy. This takes 20 minutes.

I deployed the service myself. We always had NetApp team support if required.

NetApp is cost-efficient. We don't have to manage it. It is managed by Google.

This service has lowered our cloud infrastructure spending by about 300 euros per month.

The pricing is fine. It is a good service, though maybe a little bit overpriced. However, I am comfortable with the price. The problem is the minimum storage space is one terabyte, and we don't need so much for each volume, but we still pay.

We don't need so much space, and there is no option to pay as we go or use just what we need. Also, the only way to increase performance is by increasing the level of the service what sound a bit tricky.

There are no competitors to this service for now.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good service for high availability that is very easy to configure. It is also very easy to put into our system running with NetApp.

Currently, it is being used approximately 10 times a month. We have plans to include this service in other systems.

Keep in mind that the network feeds require a special configuration.

I would rate this service as an eight (out of 10).

Google
Learn what your peers think about NetApp Cloud Volumes Service for Google Cloud. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,244 professionals have used our research since 2012.