NetApp EF-Series All Flash Arrays Review

Our batch processing time went down from 14 hours to seven, but because NetApp acquired the product it's missing a bit in the integration and management performance monitoring.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is its low latency, which is the main reason we bought it. We had performance issues before, and this was a great solution to those problems.

How has it helped my organization?

We run our data warehouse on it and batch processing needs to happen in a certain time frame. If we can’t deliver data processing in eight hours, then we have to keep the system closed for end users at that time. Ideally, we need it done by the start of business in the US, because if we finish late, people can’t start working until after that. Our batch processing time went down from 14 hours to seven hours with this solution.

What needs improvement?

It says NetApp on the badge, but it’s not a NetApp product. NetApp acquired the product so it is missing a bit in the integration and management performance monitoring.

We've used it for one-and-a-half years for OLTP databases.

It's very stable, and we've never had any problems with stability.

We haven't had to scale it, but I'm sure it will scale.

We haven't had to use customer service once yet.

We haven't had to use technical service once yet.

We used a traditional SAN array and replaced it with flash.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

The situation we were in before limited people’s ability to do financial reporting and forecasting and analysis. Now, it’s not a problem because we are able to back everything up overnight and not cut into people’s work day.

It cost us $160,000 to implement.

• Pure Storage
  • EMC XtremIO

We went with NetApp because price per performance was better.

What other advice do I have?

Before investing in flash, you should be really sure that it is solving your problem. For us, it was really clear that latency was a big part of our issue, so flash was the solution.