NetApp FAS Series Review
It helps centralize and simplify all connections into one box.

Valuable Features

It gives us the flexibility to work with all protocols on the same Storage Box. The WAFL (Write Anywhere File Layout) is the best feature implemented on this storage solution. Also, the DataONTAP is very reliable and stable, and I haven't had any problems yet. If you configure NetApp using the best practices, you should not have any issues with the performance. Lastly, the de-duplication works very well with all applications in a VMware environment, and you will save a lot of space. In my experience we save more than 80% of the space using deduplication on the volume, and if you have allflash fas you will have gain of the 3:1 and 4:1 on the your storage on the all environment without lost performance.

Improvements to My Organization

All the protocols on the same box can solve all the configurations problems. They also help centralize and simplify all connections into one box.

The feature snapmirror is too simple to configure and it is the best way to configure one storage environment with High Availability site to site.

Room for Improvement

Unify all backup software on the single tool to simplify the administration.

Use of Solution

I've been using NetApp products for Ten years, and currently i am working with models FAS6220, FAS8020 using all softwares available...

I donĀ“t find issues yet

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

10/10.

10/10.

In the past, I used, and still work with, solutions like Fujitsu and Hitachi, but when I have an opportunity to work with a NetApp solution, I don't want to go back. That's because the NetApp solutions give me more flexibility to work.

I think it is easy, because I have implemented NetApp in the past. I don't know if someone without work experience would be able to execute the initial setup. However, if you apply best practices, you should not have an issue.

Implementation Team

I have experienced both in-house and vendor team implementations. Whenever it is done by the vendor, they are 10/10.

ROI

The ROI for NetApp is good, and if you use it on a VMware environment, the ROI will be even greater, and if you get the new solution Allflash FAS you will have a big gain of the storage like 3:1, 4:1 and many more dependending on the your application.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The price, sometimes, is very high, but the ROI is guaranteed.

Other Solutions Considered

Ye I did, but I didn't find another solution that could centralize all the protocols into one box without an appliance.

Other Advice

Study the NetApp solutions, and before you implement be sure to do PoCs.

1 visitor found this review helpful