NetApp FAS Series Review

Snap mirror gives us a way to snap to our two DR sites to instantaneously bring up VMs, but it lacks certain how-to guides.

Valuable Features

• Snap mirror as it gives us a way to snap to our two disaster recovery sites to instantaneously bring up VMs
  • Dedupe helps us to save a lot on OS files for VMs

Improvements to My Organization

It provides a relatively cost-effective solution, as we have all our virtual infrastructure on NetApp.

Room for Improvement

They should provide more specific how-to guides. For example, I want to implement Sharepoint, but how do I do that?

Upgrades are always hold-our-breath situations. I’ve been lucky, but I’ve heard horror stories. I’m also dead-ended.

It’s been good. We haven’t had a complete outage (other than when our network the went down). We’ve had some challenges with hardware, but this was done non-disruptively with failover.

We’re still on 7-mode, but it still scales fairly well as the 6240 is a hefty machine.

It's used for repairs. We got outside help with set up and to put processes in place. Once done, it was seamless.

Very straightforward. We’re using 7-mode, so nothing fancy, and I had no difficulties. There were a couple things I didn’t know, but our partner, DataLink, helped. Specifically, I didn’t understand the rate groups and when you expand aggregates, you have to do a full regroup, which wasted a lot of space. I had 16-disk rate groups, added five disks, and it unbalanced things.

Other Advice

Six to eight months ago, I would have said go for it, but now I’ve been getting a lot of doubts about the stability of NetApp itself as a company.

1 Comment
Sami VentrigliaIntegratorTOP 5LEADERBOARD

Re: Setting up Sharepoint. Contact any NetApp sales engineer, they can point you to one of two things, either KB documentation or NetApp has a 'helpline' that you can call and ask for information on How-To's such as this. I agree though, they do not make guides easy to come by, but they do exist.

03 December 15