NetApp FAS Series Review

I like that there are various modes and protocols you can use at the same time.

Valuable Features

• Multi Protocol
  • Scalability
  • Homogeneous hardware

There are various modes and protocols you can use at the same time. For customers who use NetApp 7-Mode, I would rate Data ONTAP 8/10 and for Clustered Mode 7/10.

Improvements to My Organization

• Centralization of protocols within the same appliance
  • Software defined storage
  • Easy management
  • Scalability
  • Support

Room for Improvement

Migration from 7-Mode to Clustered Data ONTAP need improvement. It seems NetApp didn't know how to solve the main problem of migrating data from an old OS (7-Mode ) to Clustered.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for nine years, both using and implementing NetApp FAS series.

Deploying NetApp appliances is hard work. A lot of experience is required, mainly when your project runs a MetroCluster solution.

There's an issue when you have a mix of a low-spinning disk (SATA 3TB ) and multi-protocol access (NFS, CIFS and FCP, and iSCSI). Data ONTAP performance with WAFL goes down on mid-range solutions with multi-protocol access.

We've never had an issue with Clustered Data ONTAP, but we did with 7-Mode solutions and large amounts of data in the PB range.

They have really good customer service.

They have a good level of technical support when you escalate cases.

I've used EMC solutions in different companies.

The initial setup was complex and you need experience.

2 visitors found this review helpful
2 Comments
System Administrator - Backup & Storage Specialist at METRO SYSTEMS RomaniaReal UserTOP 10

I agree that migrating from 7mode to CDot can be difficult. A good solution would be to use snapmirror if you have it licensed on both systems. Only problem is that you can't copy several (smaller) volumes from the source into one (big) volume on the destination system.

28 March 16