NetApp FAS Series Review
Saves space with deduplication

What is our primary use case?

Creating a DR site using SnapMirror technology from NetApp.

How has it helped my organization?

• NetApp improved our organization because their features are more friendly and create environment to tests, like dev. The FlexClone technology is easy to use.
  • The flexibility to create scheduling backups on the VMware platform is very useful when you need it. We can save space using VSC.
  • The migration of the volume on the cluster is very useful and easy to use.
  • It is very useful to verify performance problems on the any environment and move volumes to another aggregate without downtime to the application.
  • Compression of the backup Oracle by RMAN on NFS saves space 5:1, for example.

What is most valuable?

• Flexibility.
  • Saves space with deduplication.
  • All protocols on the same box. This means that you don't need to have a appliance to export. For example, an NFS volume on CIFs volume.
  • Easy integration to some cloud environments, like Amazon AWS.
  • Deduplication, now on cluster mode, runs on aggregate and no more on volume only. This means that you must put all their VMware environments on the same aggregate. If you have volume from prod, dev, and homolog that shares the same virtual machine, you will have a big gain on space saving.

What needs improvement?

NetApp for all these years has been improving their storage.

The only area that could be improved is to lower prices for their All Flash FAS.

More than five years.

You must have "flash cash" if you used the box to Oracle, any database environment, or any application that requires a lot of reads all time.

We have used some solutions like Hitachi, Dell, and EMC, but NetApp has more flexibility and we decided to stay with NetApp.

• My first case was migrate all solutions from Hitachi Storage to NetApp FAS on SAN with brocade.
  • Migrated all VMware environment to NetApp storage.
  • Migrated all backup solutions that were running on Veritas Backup to VSC on NetApp.
  • Migrated our whole Oracle database running on HDS storage to NetApp storage.

Setup is very easy, but you need a partner to execute your first configuration, after that the administration is easy.

The first setup must be done by any partner or a NetApp field engineer.

The price it not low, but comparing features to other vendors, the price can be balanced.