NetApp HCI Review

When comes to DevOps, it has saved our organization time and money, especially with the number of resources that we have cut down

What is our primary use case?

With my current company, the primary use case is because of the increasing costs of the logistics: floor space, maintenance of hardware, bulk hardware, and cooling.

Primary use case for HCI with my old company was using SDTC. They use the hyperconverged devices over there to migrate from legacy to the software-defined data center model.

How has it helped my organization?

It has automated a lot of workloads. It has automated us from ticketing a large number to a very small number. Our legacy environment with the application base has improved. It also helps us with self-healing technology, which HCI is good for.

What is most valuable?

• Reduced floor space
  • Low cost of operations
  • Reduced manpower

What needs improvement?

• Application consistency restorations
  • More database support
  • More application-based features

There are some legacy applications which still cannot be migrated. That is why we have to keep two environments: legacy and the new one. We would like to see more compatibility to move stuff.

Because there is practically no downtime, it is stable. We haven't encountered any issues so far.

We can just push a button and increase, asking to scale whenever we need it. So, it is scalable to a good extent.

It was initially complex to understand, but once we got to the implementation phase, it was pretty much straightforward.

We had like three phases of Hypercare during the PoC: phase one to phase three. It was pretty good, and they worked well to address all the issues.

When comes to DevOps, HCI has saved our organization time and money, especially with the number of resources that we have cut down. The initial cost was there, but return on investment will be seen in two years of time.

There are the overall infrastructure costs. Even though the initial costing was higher, we calculated for year-to-year for five years. That brought us into a position where we decided, we have to go for HCI rather than having distributor systems.

What other advice do I have?

Go explore the market. Don't just go with one vendor. Try to explore different options, because every environment is different. Test and do a lot of PoCs.

The solution is growing, and it's good.

We use HCI to help leverage microservices from AWS, such as, EC2 instances where we create some bucket links and move a tiering from on-premise to the cloud migration. We try to host applications on cloud.

HCI has helped with storage persistence across private and hybrid clouds for the last year. It's faster and more reliable with minimal downtime, as it doesn't require any maintenance.

My previous employer was on a DevOps model. We used to create, test, and migrate, then operate with the same team.