NetApp HCI Review

A scalable stable solution with a straightforward initial setup

What is our primary use case?

I'm not a user, I'm a distributor.

How has it helped my organization?

There are savings through software costs as storage is separated from the compute nodes, and the improved performance and QoS with Flash is also good.

What is most valuable?

I like how the solution gives you to the ability to basically to grow compute and storage separately.  There is no compute processing used for storage IO so that means that the compute is purely satisfying User workloads

What needs improvement?

The networking needs improvement.  There are a lot of cables, but I have been spoily by converged networking.  I guess the issue with teh number of cables would also be evident in other HCI products.

In the next release, it would be nice if there were additional hypervisors supported out of the box. Currently it supports VMware but having end-to-end support for Hyper-V, KVM, Openstack and bare-metal would make it unique.  These other hypervisors would work (from my limited lab testing) but support would critical for production workloads.

I find the solution stable.

The solution is very scalable.

There's always been great technical support.

We didn't previously use another solution.

The initial setup is straight forward, but you have to get the networking right. Otherwise, you have to go back and redo it again. Deployment takes less than half a day from deboxing to running.  You only need one person for the implementation, two people if you have to lift a node once fully populated.

We do the implementation ourselves because we need to understand what our Partners would be seeing.  We are implementation certified.

Licenses run on a yearly basis, and there aren't any additional fees other than the standard licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution as 8.5 out of 10.