NetApp HCI Review

Has cloud sync for customers that want to integrate between the cloud and local

What is our primary use case?

We're actually an ISV that supplies infrastructural services to customers. We allow them to utilize NetApp in the cloud with Cloud Volume in Azure, AWS and Google Cloud. We use HCI and standard media technologies in our own data center, as well as supplying and setting it up for customers.

We supply all versions of this solution and we run a combination of public and private cloud on our own servers.

What is most valuable?

We like SnapMirror and we've been using it for many years. We also like the object storage tools, as well as cloud sync for customers wanting to integrate between the cloud and local.

What needs improvement?

I'm pretty happy with the product altogether. I'm pretty much a fan of the product. I think we've started to move more and more into Kubernetes and I think that's an area where we start to grow more I think.

Probably the engineering guys would know more than I would what could be improved. From my perspective, I'm happy with the solutions as is. As I said, we'll start getting more and more into the Kubernetes side of it and get the ability to move entire applications all over the place, but I'm happy with how we're using it at the moment. I'm sure there's always room for improvement, but at the moment, I'm pretty happy.

I think it pretty much does everything we want. Obviously, as environments change, I think NetApp will grow with them. I think there will be even more integration with their public cloud.

It would be great if they took something like kernel storage and integrated straight into the NetApp as well.

We've been using NetApp for about 18 years.

The stability is fantastic. That's why I've stuck with it. In my mind, it's one of the best storage products. The software around it also has got to be the best across all different storage environments.

The solution is incredible. We've been able to scale. We're in New Zealand, so it's difficult to say, but the progress we've seen here so far is easily scalable. I wouldn't know what it would be like in the US because we just don't compare to that scale.

Although we use it in our own company, it's mostly for our customers. We've got thousands of customers attached to it.

I've never had a problem with it. The NetApp guys and technical support that we've had for NetApp has been very, very good.

We were pretty lucky. We've probably got the highest qualified engineers on our teams. They seem to do extremely well, so we've got very, very good skills.

Deployment time depends on what you're talking about. If it's a simple installation, it can take a couple of hours. If it's a complex environment, it can take a couple of weeks. So it just depends on what you're trying to do and what you incorporate into it.

What other advice do I have?

The best thing to do is to make sure that you understand exactly what outcome you're looking for because there's quite a wide range of technologies with NetApp. I believe they cater to all of the different environments, but you need to make sure that you build the solution according to the applications and outcome that you're looking for.

I'd rate it as ten of ten, from my perspective.

1 visitor found this review helpful