NetApp OnCommand Insight Review

Collects data from every storage manufacturer, shows overall usage and performance

What is most valuable?

The ability to collect data from every other manufacturer like NetApp, HPE 3PAR - all the different storage products.

How has it helped my organization?

I can get the overall usage, performance and, later, we see all the details across the board.

What needs improvement?

I think there was an issue with the actual usage of some of the storage, so that could be a little bit more detail we can get in to.

Also helpful would be cloud integration or even assessment in going towards, "Will this footprint be viable to move to the cloud?" That's an option we are thinking would help.

Pretty good so far. We've collected a whole bunch of stuff and we are looking to go forward and assess what we really need in terms of storage, because it is helping us on that one.

We have not had a chance to do that at this point. We have a certain set of systems and we are using it for so far.

Yes, we have used tech support, and they are excellent. We have engineers set up for us and we have dedicated SEs, so they come and help us out instantaneously.

We had individual siloed applications, utilities. 3PAR had one and VMAX had one, NetApp had one, so we had DFM etc. Each of those had each feature and function. Not as detailed as OCI.

At this point in time we are trying to consolidate our storage infrastructure. So this is a pretty good way to do it because they cross multi platforms and the like.

I was involved in the initial setup. It was very straightforward.

It was very simple, they gave us preparation for the user IDs and the like and we were able to put that in and it came in, right through. It took some time to come up with the data, the initial data and that was it, it was done.

The option there was HPE OneView. We were looking at it but I think NetApp came out much more detailed.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor to work, the most important criteria for me are

• response time
  • knowledgeable staff
  • detailed reports

and those all worked out pretty well.

It has given us a lot more information than what we could have done ourselves, or with other products.

Look at the product. I mean it has got a lot of features, functionalities, which individual products by the individual manufacturers do not give you. It has an overview of the whole estate, in effect.

As it crosses multi vendors, it's not difficult to put features to or from administration staff, so I think I am good with what we have today.