NetApp OnCommand Insight Review

Ease of use enables us to obtain strategic insights and plan ahead

What is most valuable?

The ease of use, because we don't have much time to learn all the new things.

How has it helped my organization?

The things we're able to derive, we're able to use that and figure out what the next steps would be that bring value to the company, or our organization. We get strategic insights and plan ahead.

What needs improvement?

Perhaps integration with other platforms; any other monitoring, other kinds of storage platforms.

It's OK so far. I don't think we push it to the limit of what it can do, so I think it's been pretty stable for us. It's been pretty good so far.

We haven't really found time to upgrade it, so we've been pretty happy with where we're at. I forget what version we're at. But so far it's been OK.

Like I said, we don't push it too much. We're using it for a few things and that's pretty much it.

We don't look at it from that perspective. We don't have a lot of devices that we monitor. So we don't need it from that perspective.

I think one colleague has used it once, maybe twice, that's it. I, personally, have not.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor to work with the most important criterion for us is how easy is it to work with them. Our group is very small. We really don't have time to do a lot of back and forth with the vendors. It's either they want to deal with us or they don't, period. If they want work with us, we go ahead. If not, then we move on.

I give it an eight out of 10 because, again, we're not pushing it as much as we probably could and should. I think if we got down to knowing the nitty-gritty of it, we'd probably like it a lot more. But like I said, we just don't have time to use it that much.

If I were to advise a colleague at a different company who is looking at OCI and other similar solutions, I would say know the functions or features you want to use. Outside of that, do what we did not do, really try to get to know the product and do a deep dive into it.