NetApp OnCommand Insight Review

Gives us a lot of data we didn't have in the past, enables us to monitor, visualize, and pinpoint problems

What is most valuable?

It gives us the ability to report on all our storage environment. It gives us a way to monitor, visualize, and pinpoint problems.

We can focus on and project usage growth. We can also monitor and measure performance of all the stores. We can compare, use it for capacity planning, forecasting, present usage.

We can also compare performance over several years. Compare different products from different vendors and see how they perform against each other. There are many things that you can do with it.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives us a lot of data that, years ago, we didn't have. We can present that in order to prepare, when we're going to buy new equipment. We know, when we create a lifecycle, how long it's going to last, the current equipment, and what are we going to replace it with.

We use it for troubleshooting and to identify the root cause of problems. We also use it for proof of concept and comparisons.

We're in telecommunications and media. I would say OCI is uniquely valuable to us because it give us the data and it provides a more visual a way of evaluating our current storage environment.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more performance features on the flash storage and also on the backup appliances.

Also the ability to analyze NAS, NFS and CIFS protocols and cloud protocols.

At least four years.

It is stable. It is mature. I have had issues, but I have resolved most of them myself.

On the reporting piece, sometimes I get a corruption in the database, but since we protect it and back it up constantly, we can always go back to before the damage is done.

I have upgraded, maybe four times, different versions. The very first upgrade was not that easy to do because we had an old version and then it required being in a different version to upgrade automatically. But after we did that first one, they've been easy.

Tech support is real good.

What other advice do I have?

I rate it an eight out of 10 because of the features that it lacks and the stability, although that is getting better. It's still an eight but it's getting better.