NetApp OnCommand Insight Review

Trending and analytics give us a better view of our environment, we can set up service levels based on usage

What is most valuable?

It's probably the performance trending and the analytics that we have on that. We didn't have good insight into what our systems were doing until we had that product.

We also started installing the anomaly piece of that, so that's neat to see, and source. We're still just learning about that.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefits are just allowing us to get a better view of our environment, because today we just don't know what's happening. I know it's going to help us change our services that we offer today. Now, we're going to be able to set up different tiers and service levels based on our actual usage.

What needs improvement?

It has a lot already. But if they would just continue the platform support for other vendors besides NetApp on the OCI part. Just to get more of our storage vendors involved.

The UI is friendly. But I think we'd like to see more graphics on it, more graphical reports for management and the like, so we don't have to actually put stuff together. Anything we can pre-generate or that is canned is a lot better.

Like I said, we're still learning about it. I don't know if there are any features that they can improve right now that I know about.

Six months.

So far, it's been stable. No issues whatsoever. Knocking on wood we won't have any.

It scales to our environment, so I would say it's fine.

I think we have used the technical support. I haven't personally, but I know the guy that's setting it up has. We love it. They're very responsive and they follow up. We get the results we need. They're knowledgeable.

We've had lots of outages before. Like I said, they came back in and they followed up, gave us the right technical stuff. A lot of times, they'll do it proactively. There will be a bug out there and we won't have hit it yet, but then they'll tell us about it beforehand, so we can proactively fix it before it happens.

No. Before, we were just using the native tools on ONTAP. We needed to have a way to look at our performance statistics.

I wasn't involved in the initial setup.

In terms of upgrades, when I was doing it a long time ago, it was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

We're in the Finance field. But I wouldn't say this solution is uniquely valuable to finance. It's just good for all the storage environment.