NetApp OnCommand Insight Review

What is our primary use case?

We use OnCommand Insight to manage our nine petabyte storage, including our EF-Series and a few FAS8060s and FAS8200s. We are using it to manage our storage across that entire array and track our "burn rate":

• How much we're using each month.
  • How much we are growing.
  • How much we can save.

How has it helped my organization?

Once we gathered and saw what we were doing with everything, we saved close to a petabyte worth of data by being able to delete old data and move stuff around. Thus, we became more efficient.

It's exactly what we needed. It has helped us optimize our storage.

What is most valuable?

It gives us the ability to look at our storage and figure out what we are doing with it. Without it, we are sort of blind. We have all these different aggregates going on, and we don't know what's been stored where, so it allows us to look underneath the hood.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see additional online training.

It's extremely stable.

We've had no issues scaling so far.

NetApp support is always there. Our guy, Matt is amazing. I can pick up the phone anytime to talk him when I have an issue. A company may have equitable software, but no one beats NetApp's support.

We didn't have a previous solution.

We are very NetApp heavy. This is the solution that they suggested, so we went with it.

The initial setup is complex. There is a lot of stuff to set up. I had to teach my guys a lot of things, so there was a lot of learning. Once they got the hang of it, they were good to go and all the training that NetApp and the reseller provided was on point.

We used a reseller, ClearShark.

We use them for a lot of things. It is an amazing company.

What other advice do I have?

Absolutely go with this solution.

I manage the team using the product, but I don't have hands-on experience with it.