NetApp OnCommand Insight Review

Significantly improved our mean time to resolution, give us the ability to integrate with multiple systems

What is our primary use case?

We use OCI for tracking our capacity needs, our performance metrics, and future planning on the capacity trends. Recently, we've started integrating other vendor storage devices into the OCI. That is a key thing for us because that gives us integration with a single interface, where you can see what is trending and the overall performance.

How has it helped my organization?

It has definitely improved our organization. For example, we have, in total, 46 data centers and we're trying to make them into four or five data centers. OCI has helped us integrate all the other vendors into one OCI. We are trying to see what its usage is around a specific time. Since we know what the capacity usage trend is, we can try to buy storage in our data center with NetApp storage and then we can establish that within NetApp.

What is most valuable?

I've found the performance and capacity trends to be the most valuable features. The solution gives us usage reports. For example, if there's some kind of a peak, it can tell us certain times that usage will go up and come back down.

We are getting into the public cloud right now. We have the storage area, and the future plan is to get that integrated into this one. We also have the PoC already running. The down-end is in place for us for the ONTAP Cloud Manager. There's cost, so once we know that we are full-fledged going to use it, then we plan to integrate that with OCI.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see some kind of email mechanism to send email alerts with system updates. Also, perhaps OCI could send a graph that gives yearly or quarterly reports.

The stability is good. There are certain version compatibilities. We have an Oracle ZFS system and it wasn't compatible with the OCI version that we have. We upgraded to a new system and it was still not compatible. A little bit more information from technical support would give us a little bit more insight.

We have hundreds of systems added to the OCI, and I haven't seen any problems so far: no performance, VM, or applications crashing. I'd say it's good.

Technical support is good. We are a big customer for NetApp, so I know that we get priority support from them. Even if something is not prioritized, we have a dedicated SAM and a dedicated systems engineer from their side. Everyone's on top of things like that. We have never had any problems with support.

We upgraded the OCI and that wasn't complex, it was so simple.

We have a reseller named Informative. The experience with them was great.

We have saved significantly by using OCI. I don't know the exact amount but it's more than a million.

Since implementing OCI, our mean time to resolution has changed by around 20 to 25%

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a ten because of its ability to integrate with multiple systems. This gives me better performance numbers and gives me more information about where my loopholes are, where I need to target my customers, where I need to go back and retain storage.

OCI is by far a really nice product as compared to competitors. I know that this solution is better than others.