NetApp OnCommand Insight Review

Data analysis and reporting help us identify data for cold and hot storage

What is our primary use case?

We use it to identify cold storage, hot storage, that kind of data. We have multi-protocol: file shares, blocks, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

We have not implemented in a full-fledged way yet, but we expect OCI will be beneficial in helping us save on costs.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is definitely the reports, the complete analysis of the data. We also like the scalability, since it can work with Hitachi, Isilon, etc. That's also a very useful part of it.

What needs improvement?

We have traditionally been customers of NetApp, we have it all over the enterprise. So far it is satisfactory. But I would like to see NetApp focus more on availability and customer support. From 7-Mode to C mode a migration happened and many features, like FTP and SFTP, were dropped. We have been using it, but there needs to be better communication when features are dropped because there are end users using it who might find it a shock: "Oh, why was that dropped?"

It's absolutely stable.

It can work with any protocol, with any vendor, any type of data or storage solution.

The tech support is pretty good. They helped to set up multiple controllers, and then we started with the analysis and the reporting.

We didn't have a previous solution.

The initial setup was good.

We used NetApp only. We worked with John Russell. He's definitely a good guy.

We have not yet saved money using the solution, but if we can implement auto-tiering, which is part of 9.5 and onwards, we will see great savings afterward.

We have evaluated other organizations, like Hitachi and Dell EMC.

What other advice do I have?

OCI is a very strong product, it has so many features and a handful of features that are really good, such as analytics and the reporting.

We are not yet using the machine-learning features of this solution but we would like to. One feature we are using is the ServiceNow integration for infrastructure mapping but we're facing some troubles with it. ServiceNow has recently implemented sending an automated trigger or incident creation to ServiceNow from NetApp, and we are facing trouble due to the APIs. In terms of MTTR, we haven't calculated it yet, since it's not in production. We have only done the PoC.

We have plans to implement, or at least evaluate, products like StorageGRID and FlexPool.

If a colleague was concerned about being burned by legacy storage management products that don't work as promised, I would tell him to migrate to the cloud. It's a better way to manage the data. We can't escape on-prem. Legacy is one of the best use cases for on-prem, but cold data could be moved to the cloud.

OCI is one of NetApp's best products. I would rate it at nine out of ten.