NetApp ONTAP Review

Gives us the ability to upgrade easily and the scalability is good

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for serving the file server files. File storage is for the member offices and accessing that data.

How has it helped my organization?

From the capacity perspective, it has helped us because of the thin volumes, deduplication, and compression features.

What is most valuable?

ONTAP provides the ability to dole out Qtree shares as needed. Team volumes is a benefit.

What needs improvement?

The cloud features, the ability to go into the cloud would be a feature I'd like to see improvements on.

They could also improve on their ability to back up storage.

It's stable. It has good monitoring tools to help monitor activity and take action if necessary.

The scalability is good.

We do look at tech guides and the Knowledge Base articles and then engage support. The account teams are always available.

We were using Dell EMC. We did an initial evaluation with the reseller consultants, based on that we went forward. We wanted to diversify everything so that we could get more benefits from the features.

The initial setup was good, flexible, forthcoming, and straightforward.

We used CopperTech. They were good to work with and very responsive. They look at every scenario.

The deduplication and compression features have helped us save storage costs.

We have been able to save about 10 to 15% on space using the space consumption features.

What other advice do I have?

The approximate cost per IOP is around 50 cents.

I would rate this product a nine because of its ability to upgrade easily and the scalability.

Definitely look at the compression, deduplication, and the ability to grow into the cloud, consider any product that has these features.