NetApp ONTAP Review

It is able to store a lot of data and can be managed with fewer people

What is our primary use case?

We use it for storing unstructured data.

How has it helped my organization?

It is able to store a lot of data, and we can manage it with fewer people.

What is most valuable?

• Snapshot
  • Availability
  • Performance

What needs improvement?

Generally, their products are good when they come out of the gate. However, what would be good is when we uncover new issues, if those could be addressed quickly.

We would like to see SnapMirror encryption in the next release and have better access to feature development.

It is generally very stable.

Technical support has gone down in my perspective. When getting to the root cause of issues, they need to respond faster. Also, they need to respond quicker to bug fixes.

There have been some changes internally at NetApp. Currently, we are moving to a different level of support which will hopefully fix our issues with it.

We use NetApp products. If we switch products, it is because the product does not perform or is not keeping up with its competitors in terms of cost.

We did the deployment ourselves. Deployments are easy, but NetApp could make it easier.

Return on investment has been good.

There are specific workloads where some vendors provide better value, but in general, NetApp has done a far better on price than other vendors.

We have used Hitachi and Dell EMC, but we use NetApp the most.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good, market-leading product.

More NetApp ONTAP reviews from users
...who compared it with NetApp Cloud Volumes ONTAP
Learn what your peers think about NetApp ONTAP. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,742 professionals have used our research since 2012.