NetApp Private Storage Review

It gave us a platform which could clearly arrange all our files and volumes

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to maintain the marketing division's info.

The storage is rather small. It is holding about 10 terabytes of storage.

It has performed great in the six years that we have had it.

How has it helped my organization?

We were having a very hard time managing our data and backing it up for our marketing division. The data was coming in with people making calls, campaigns, and gathering leads, so everything was in chaos.

We feel that NetApp gave us a platform (base) which could clearly arrange all our files and volumes. We put everything on a virtual shelf, which then made it easy to work with.

From when we were upgrading and gathering information for our new campaign, it took about three hours, then we started to work with the storage. This took approximately another two hours or less.

What is most valuable?

Mirroring and Snapsnots. Snapshots are very robust. Snapsnots will always work and you can dive into them and receive information. There are a lot of other storage companies that have this feature, but we feel that the NetApp Snapshot feature is the best.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have the Active-Active feature. Some competitors, like Nutanix, already have it. I would like NetApp to add it to stay competitive.

Their global sales process needs improvement. The flow of the process needs improvement in countries like Israel. They need to be ready to make new partnerships, even swallow other new companies in the storage field that have been in business with software only. Hardware does not matter anymore.

More than five years.

The stability is excellent.

The scalability is impressive. It is very easy to scale out. I would rate the scalability as a nine out of 10.

The technical support team's response was very effective. We were having issues with volume or a disk due to an error. It was a Saturday and a support representative called me that night and told me, "Listen, this is the error. You need to do this and that." In about three minutes or less, the issue was resolved. Therefore, we feel the support is excellent.

We were using HPE 3PAR. We did not having the feeling that this was a serious solution.

I was not involved in the initial setup.

We found ourselves looking at what we wanted to do with cloud and how we would like to build it, then maintain it, etc. We decided on two competitors: EMC and NetApp. We made the decision to go with NetApp, which has proven itself over many years as the right decision.

On our shortlist, we had HPE 3PAR, EMC, NetApp, an IBM storage solution, and another storage by Dell. We chose NetApp because we saw the innovation. We saw they are making it possible to install new features and get better results from those features.

What other advice do I have?

If you are in the process of acquiring a new storage solution, you have to first understand not the technical side of the platform, but the human side. You have to dive in and know many levels of the type of support, sales, management, etc. Then, move on and research the technology.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: innovative.