NetApp Private Storage Review

Enables us to add storage none disruptively and has great uptime

What is our primary use case?

It back ends some ESXi through NFS shares. I think our database people use it some as well and we have SnapMirror. We've done snapshots for a long time and I found pretty good value there. SnapMirror, we just started using probably about six months ago. SnapMirror replaced MDMP and it's a lot faster. I mean we get backups off-site way quicker than we did with MDMP and MDMP is going to go away in about, I'd say a couple of months. I would say it's probably impactful of probably somewhere in the 1,000 to 5,000 users.

What needs improvement?

The one thing I've noticed with NetApp when you buy hardware and you can use it for a while and then you have to get new hardware. I wish the hardware would last a little bit longer. Instead, in three to five years, you have to get rid of it because the latest software won't run on it. So the upgrade cycle is kind of expensive. I think Flash is always good, NVMe, that's good. Dedupe and compression improvements always help.

We have been using NetApp Private Storage for over three years.

I'd say it's the best we've got. In terms of quality and uptime, it is the thing to have. We consider it to be top-shelf.

We've always been very impressed with being able to add storage none disruptively. We've always been able to do that.

I think they're top grade. We have always had a good experience with NetApp.

We've had third party support pretty much the whole way.

We've had third party support pretty much the whole way. Slate has helped us quite a bit over the years. We're hoping to get away from that, but I don't know how much of that we can do based on our abilities, our in house abilities. In the past, it's been sort of like one to one and a half, plus we probably hire a quarter FTE of an integrator or a vendor.

What other advice do I have?

I would say compare with whatever is out there. I think that NetApp makes a quality product. I would rate it at a nine out of ten.

More NetApp Private Storage reviews from users
...who compared it with HPE 3PAR StoreServ
Find out what your peers are saying about NetApp, Buurst, Dell EMC and others in NAS. Updated: December 2020.
455,164 professionals have used our research since 2012.